Every real estate professional wants to be an industry expert and the go-to agent or broker for buyers and sellers in their community.
Well, you’ll be happy to hear that when you integrate a comprehensive content strategy with SEO you can position yourself to become the premier choice for members of your local community!
And, in this blog, we are going to show you how this one of the best lead generation strategies.
We have put together the top 7 SEO strategies & tips that will deliver impactful results to real estate agents, brokers, and like-individuals.
These will help you reach the top of Google search results pages, drive more website traffic, and generate meaningful leads.
- 1) What Does SEO Mean in Real Estate?
- 2) Why SEO Is Crucial for Real Estate in 2020 & Beyond
- 3) Real Estate SEO Statistics for Real Estate Agents
- 4) What Benefits Can SEO Provide to Your Real Estate Business?
- 5) 1. Start with a Creative, High-Performing IDX Web Design
- 6) 2. Perform an In-Depth Content Audit
- 7) 3. Perform Effective Real Estate Keyword Research
- 8) 4. Boost Your Local SEO to Target Local Buyers & Sellers
- 9) 6. Incorporate Strong Schema Markup
- 10) 7.Create Real Estate Content Built for SEO
- 11) In Conclusion
What Does SEO Mean in Real Estate?
SEO, an acronym for search engine optimization, is an essential real estate practice that helps you increase your online visibility and brand awareness by ranking higher for relevant Google searches.
What real estate SEO really boils down to is showing up in Google searches when people are looking for someone to help them buy, sell, or lease a property.
For real estate professionals, it’s imperative that you start off by largely focusing on optimizing your website and executing effective content ideas to outrank your competitors online.
Your content needs to be hyper-focused and specific to the audience you serve. By doing this, you will increase your credibility with the end-user, your geographic visibility for your community, and your ability to convert website visitors to clients.
With the help of ranking higher on Google, you will be top of mind when your target audience is ready to make a move.
Why SEO Is Crucial for Real Estate in 2020 & Beyond
When executed effectively, you can position yourself as an industry leader and generate genuine interest from people who already like, know, and trust you.
Inbound marketing plays a critical role in the success of any real estate professional, and SEO is an integral piece to the overall strategy.
With search engine optimization, you can place your content in front of your intended audience who are actively searching for solutions to their problems. Finding the right content to create starts with developing your ideal client personas.
By improving your SEO strategy, you will have the opportunity to fine-tune your marketing efforts so that potential clients can find you at the right moment when they are ready to make a move.
Real Estate SEO Statistics for Real Estate Agents
Still not sure if you need SEO for your real estate website? Check out these real estate SEO statistics for real estate agents:
- 52% of all buyers found the home they purchased online
- 73% of all buyers used their mobile phones to find information
- 93% of all buyers searched online websites during the homebuying process
- 56% of all buyers looked online for home-buying information or to find properties
- 34% of all buyers found their real estate agent online
What Benefits Can SEO Provide to Your Real Estate Business?
Hopefully by now, you are starting to get a clearer idea of how SEO works, but ultimately you want to know more about how it can help YOU specifically.
Here are a few key points to keep in mind:
- It helps to build trust within your community
- Unlike paid ads, ranking high on Google search results is a fair game of strategy, determination, and execution
- You can meet your ideal audience where they are
- Over time your website will receive exponential traffic from your already invested-in assets
- You can essentially own your local piece of real estate online
Now that you have a better understanding of the importance of SEO for real estate professionals, it’s time to dive into the most effective SEO strategies & tips that you can implement immediately.
If the process of SEO seems like it would take too much of your time or you aren’t sure where to get started, try reaching out to an SEO agency that specializes in real estate marketing.
1. Start with a Creative, High-Performing IDX Web Design
Every successful SEO strategy starts with a high-performing IDX website that focuses on maximizing the features available to real estate professionals.
IDX, an acronym for Internet Data Exchange, allows real estate professionals to display realtime and fully inclusive property listing data directly on their own real estate website.
Building a highly optimized IDX website will help you attract more leads and be better equipped for SEO. You will want to ensure that your website is following some of the best web design practices for small businesses.
These are the top 10 ranking factors that you need to optimize for SEO on your IDX website:
- Fast loading speed
- SEO-friendly URL
- Image Optimization
- Schema makeup
- XML sitemap
- SSL Certificate
- Meta Descriptions
- SEO Titles
- Site Hierarchy
If you are not familiar with web development and on-page search engine optimization, it’s best to let a real estate web design company help you with this!
2. Perform an In-Depth Content Audit
A content audit is the process of collecting and analyzing various pieces of website content, such as blog posts, pillar pages, inner pages, content upgrades, user navigability, and website performance.
Running a content audit will help you refine your SEO efforts so that you can better target your audience and provide a better user-experience.
Most importantly, running a content audit will help you understand what parts of your website aren’t optimized for SEO.
After performing a content audit, you will be able to get a clear idea of what content you need to create, rewrite, eliminate, or update.
How to Plan a Content Audit for Your Website:
- Think of goals
- Develop real estate client personas
- Pick the best tool – ScreamingFrog, SEMRush, or solicit the help of an agency accustomed to performing content audits, such as Imagen Media.
- Gather your content
- Categorize your content
- Analyze your inventory
- Review Metrics & KPI’s
- Create a plan of action
How to Perform a Content Audit to Improve Local SEO:
- Start with the site structure: start with creating an XML sitemap, redirects, and robots.txt.
- Analyze the page structure: do you have meta descriptions, titles, SEO optimized URLs?
- Look at your content: does your content include strong visual elements, keywords, canonical tags, and proper redirects?
- Test the usability: Check your site speed and mobile responsiveness, as well as the overall UX.
- Check your links: check for broken links, outbound and inbound, and strong internal linking between content.
3. Perform Effective Real Estate Keyword Research
The peak of driving your real estate SEO strategy is performing keyword research.
Let’s see how performing keyword research can help improve your real estate SEO strategy…
What Are Real Estate Keywords?
Real estate keywords are any single words or long-tail phrases that your ideal audience is searching for answers, ideas, or subject matter expertise for on Google.
By starting with keyword research, you can create a content outline that aligns together to help Google and your end-users better understand the context and intent of your content.
There are quite a few different types of keywords, but for real estate agents, the types of keywords that will be best are:
- Short-tail: any phrase that is three words or less, typically a more competitive type of keyword. These are high volume, highly competitive keywords, such as “atlanta real estate ”
- Long-tail: any phrase consisting of three or more words, typically a less competitive and more specific to your niche, such as “first time home buyer georgia”
- Geo-targeting keywords: area-specific keywords that will help you target specific neighborhoods, cities, states, or counties. Think “two-bedroom apartment for rent in buckhead, atlanta”
4. Boost Your Local SEO to Target Local Buyers & Sellers
Optimizing for local SEO is the pinnacle of the SEO process for real estate agents, brokers, and teams.
If you want to be the go-to real estate professional within your community, then your information needs to show up in local searches.
Using local SEO will help you be the first real estate brand to pop up within a local search, which will drive more traffic to your website and generate more exclusive real estate leads.
There are a few crucial elements to your local SEO strategy, let’s take a look at them.
Setup and Optimize Your Google My Business Page
Setting up your Google My Business will maximize your local SEO efforts. Not sure why? Well, did you know that customers are 70% more likely to visit businesses with a Google My Business listing?
That is a huge margin, and tons of potential traffic you could be missing out on if you have yet to set up your Google My Business Page, or furthermore optimized it to become more visible.
Register With Relevant Business Listings & Real Estate Directories
This is a smart strategy and a great way for you to optimize for local search.
Plus, you will be getting more backlinks, which can add a little boost to your domain score.
Here are a few places where you can start:
Leverage Positive Reviews to Boost Your SEO
Positive reviews and testimonials are an important part of not only your SEO strategy, but building trust in your real estate brand as well.
You are more likely to have potential buyers and sellers find you and visit your websites with the more reviews you have listed.
Plus, demonstrating that you are an accomplished and competent real estate agent will only help promote trust and confidence with potential buyers.
Take a look at the example below:
When I type in “best real estate agent in Seattle” tons of options come up. I see that the first two are paid ads, so I skip over those and go to the first organically listed website, which happens to be Special Agents Realty, an agency in Seattle, WA.
I see that Special Agents Realty has 22 reviews and a 5-star rating, so already they are already gaining my trust. I can read the positive Google reviews, so then I head over to their website.
When I head to the website, I can see that there are tons more positive reviews, some that aren’t even featured on Google. This leads me to believe that Special Agents Realty is a trustworthy and top real estate agency in the Seattle area.
When I am ready to buy, I might just give them a call!
6. Incorporate Strong Schema Markup
Structured data, also called schema markup, is a type of code that makes it easier for search engines to crawl, organize, and display your content.
Structured data communicates to search engines what your data means. Without schema markup, search engines can only tell what your data says, and they have to work harder to determine why it’s there.
There are various types of schema markup that you can include on your website that will help with your SEO strategy, including:
7.Create Real Estate Content Built for SEO
The type of content you will create and optimize for SEO includes anything from the blogs you create, the description of a new listing, and the written content on your website.
All of these components play a critical role in how healthy your SEO is.
Create SEO Focused Real Estate Content
More often than not, your target audience is going to find you via your content, that’s why your content has to be optimized for SEO. Think about the type of content your audience wants to see and then start generating content.
If you aren’t sure what to write, think about generating real estate content that focuses on your community and your area of expertise, including:
- Community guides
- New listing posts showcasing the best features of your new listing
- First time home buying or seller guides
- Local business guides -restaurants, grocery stores, or retail
Invest in High-Quality Real Estate Videos
Did you know that YouTube is owned by Google? That places it as the second biggest search engine in the world.
When people don’t want to read written content, they often turn to YouTube for visual content. Creating a YouTube channel and producing high-quality video content needs to be part of your content strategy.
Types of video content you could produce includes:
- Video walk through or a virtual open house
- New listing videos showcasing the best features of the property
- Day in the life or more personable content
- Community highlights
- Case studies and FAQ discussions
Create Eye-Catching Images, Optimized for SEO
The real estate industry is a highly visual industry and stock images just won’t cut it. Whether you knew it or not, image optimization is a pivotal part in the SEO process.
Have you ever googled something and then went to the image section? All of these top tanking images didn’t just end up there on accident, but rather were carefully crafted and optimized as the owners SEO strategy.
How to Optimize Your Images for SEO
- Add alt-text
- Keep the size small so you don’t slow down your speed
- Choose JPG for large images or illustration with lots of color
- Select 1200 pixel size for best looking images
- Add a caption and description
- Always save the file name on your computer with an SEO optimized name
SEO is an important part of any real estate agents content marketing strategy. A lot of work goes into SEO, but when executed properly, the benefits you will reap will be high.
If you are unsure how to maximize your SEO efforts or simply don’t have time, let us know how we can help you.
Drop a line and let us know your favorite real estate SEO strategy!