While it is true that social media works wonders for high fashion and culinary brands, it can also be an excellent tool for law firms.
In fact, if your law firm has created a complete marketing plan but failed to include space for social media, you will ultimately be losing out on the chance to grow your brand and generate more clients.
Furthermore, according to the American Bar Association, solo lawyers and large law firms alike are using social media as part of their marketing strategy:
Eighty percent of all respondents use social media themselves for professional purposes, including 67% of solos, 83% of lawyers in firms of 2-9 lawyers, and 86% of lawyers in firms with 10-49 lawyers. LinkedIn is the leading platform among individual lawyers, just as it is for law firms; overall, 73% of all respondents maintain a LinkedIn presence.
Social media offers several wonderful benefits that your law firm can use to gain a strong reputation in the industry all while engaging with your community. There is a high probability that many of these community members could become happy clients.
And we want your legal practice management software to be full of happy clients that can’t wait to rave about your expertise.
Let’s not wait any longer and get right into why your law firm needs a powerful social media marketing strategy!
Why Is Social Media Important for Lawyers?
Social media is an important tool for law firms and solo lawyers as it can provide you with an opportunity to engage with your audience and become a thought leader in your industry.
Social media marketing will help your law firm grow. Here’s exactly how:
- Social media marketing can increase inquiries about your services.
- As your social media presence grows, you are likely to see an increase in website traffic and potential leads.
- You will have the opportunity to become an industry leader as your content gets shared around social media.
- Social media helps build social proof and develop trustful relationships.
- Your law firm will gain even greater brand recognition.
- All while building your organic presence, social media can also help improve your SEO.
How to Improve Your Law Firm’s Social Media Strategy
If you are starting from scratch with a social media marketing plan for your law firm, then there are a few things you need to organize first before you begin making your strategy.
1. Build Your Client Personas
The start of any solid marketing plan is to create and develop a strategy built around your buyer personas. Your buyer personas are essentially your target audience.
Think about it; what types of clients does your law firm typically serve and how can you curate content that will specifically target them?
You could start with 3 to 5 buyer personas. If you have been practicing law for some time, this should be relatively easy as you know who you typically clients are.
If you are just starting out and are unsure, ask yourself “who are my ideal clients and how can I best serve and attract them through my social media.”
2. Start Creating Valuable Content
Now that you fully understand who your target audience is, it’s time to start planning your content.
The type of content you will post on social media can be an extension of your overall content strategies, such as sharing your newest blog post or industry statistics.
This part of the plan will take time, and you the type of content you might want to create can range from blog posts to videos. We wrote a complete guide to content marketing for law firms, if you aren’t sure where to start.
3. Create an Editorial Calendar
Once you have created a strong content marketing strategy, now it’s time to get organized with an editorial calendar.
An editorial calendar will keep you and your team focused so that you can continuously deliver top quality content when your audience is expecting it.
You can plan your editorial calendar to include topics for blog posts and your posting schedule, as well as the dates and times for your social media posts.
4. Expanding Your Marketing Tech Stack
Your arsenal of marketing tools, also known as a marketing technology stack, will help your law firm streamline your operations all while ensuring you never miss a step in your marketing.
As you begin your content strategy, you need to be able to track your conversions and view the parts of your strategy that are successful and the parts that need some work. Marketing tools are perfect for this.
We suggest investing initially into social media marketing tools, such as:
- Asana for project & team management
- CoSchedule for scheduling posts and analyzing your copy.
- Canva for creating graphics to share on Instagram.
Building Your Law Firm’s Social Media Strategy: Beginners Tips
There are a few items you will need to fully optimize across all of your social media channels before you start posting, including:
- Setting up your business Facebook page. Double-check that your address, hours, and contact information is all correct.
- Updating your headshot if necessary so that they are professional and include only you.
- Ensuring your social channels are within your branding guidelines, including the colors you have used throughout your website and content.
- Checking that your about section highlights the type of law your practice and a bit about your firm.
- Links that function and lead to your landing page (no broken links, please!)
LinkedIn Social Media Marketing Strategy for Lawyers
LinkedIn is a social media platform for business professionals.
LinkedIn is the premier platform for digital networking and can offer lawyers the chance to not only connect with potential clients, but with other influencers in the industry and cross-industry.
You will be able to build your network and share your vast knowledge of all things law on LinkedIn.
Why Is LinkedIn an Important Social Media Platform for Lawyers?
LinkedIn is an important social media platform because your prospects are likely already on the platform, looking for the best lawyers on the market.
LinkedIn also allows you to become a thought leader within your industry by sharing your content with other professionals. These professionals could be fellow lawyers, potential clients, and members of other industries that could help you generate clients.
What Types of Posts Should Your Law Firm Create on LinkedIn?
- Host educational webinars to discuss your specific niche of law or about important industry changes.
- Introduce your new litigation partner or new paralegal.
- Share your blog posts, case studies, and articles.
Facebook Social Media Marketing Strategy for Lawyers
Facebook is a huge platform and definitely needs to be on your radar when creating your social media strategy for your law firms. Facebook can offer you the chance to share content across the platform as well as interact with your community.
Once you have set up your business page, and have created strong content, it’s time to start posting.
We recommend using your editorial calendar to ensure posts are consistent so that your audience knows when they can expect to hear from you.
Why Is Facebook an Important Social Media Platform?
If you maintain a Facebook page for your law firm, you will benefit from:
- Providing social proof to potential clients that will in turn promote trust.
- Giving you the opportunity to share your content, such as industry trends or downloadable guides.
- Being able to run paid Facebook and Instagram ads to attract more clients.
- Utilizing the built-in messaging function on Facebook so you never miss a client inquiry
What Types of Posts Should Your Law Firm Create?
There are tons of pieces of content you can share on Facebook, including:
- Videos from your YouTube channel.
- Podcast episodes.
- Your newest blog post.
- Your firm’s milestones or highlight posts of staff members.
- Client testimonials and case studies.
Instagram Social Media Marketing Strategy for Lawyers
Instagram, while it might not seem like the best platform for lawyers, but in reality, it’s a great platform to pass around company information and create a more personable presence.
Why Is Instagram an Important Social Media Platform for Lawyers?
Instagram is 100% visual, which will give you the opportunity to create your brand’s story, promote engagement, and gain a following from clients.
Not only that, but consistently posting on Instagram, using organic posts, paid to advertise, and the Instagram story feature can help you gain brand recognition and keep your firm on the top of potential clients’ minds.
Instagram can be an important tool to be seen as relatable and trustworthy as an attorney.
What Types of Posts Should Your Law Firm Create?
- Infographics with industry statistics
- Images from the office or with the staff
- Celebration posts so that your audience understands when you achieved a goal
- Graphics highlighting your blog posts
- Video tours of your office or FAQ video posts
Social media marketing can help you become a thought leader, gain social proof, and generate more prospects than just simply hosting a blog can.
We do understand that you are busy preparing cases for your clients and it may seem that social media could be adding more to your already full plate.
If that is the case, let us know how we can help you! Just like how we would hire a lawyer for all of our legal troubles, don’t be shy to let us know how we can help your law firm with your social media strategy.